Sunday, October 14, 2012

Commentary on My Poison Legacy Deck - Response to a Complaint



“12 creatures is not enough” – That is why I have 4 Commune with Nature in this deck.

Not all games end without a fight.  The reason for the higher mana costing cards is to have a strong response toward the end of the game.  True it may already be over, but not necessarily.  In the event of a hard fought game, even with poison, it can be very useful to have a few cards that cost more mana to cast.  If you notice, I don't have many high mana cost cards, and there is good reason for that.

Inkmoth Nexus creates a land problem.  I have to be able to tap for various colors to play my other cards, such that this card becomes a nonstarter.  I don't know of any single card that taps for blue, green, and black at the same time to date, such that I might even think of including Inkmoth Nexus.  My 12 colored creatures, either blue, black, or green, and my boosters make it so that I need either a fetch land or a land that taps one way or another in order to get a creature out on turn 2, or to slam my opponent with a booster or two or three on turn 3.  That is, I have too many colored spells in my deck in order to include an Inkmoth Nexus.

With respect to land, it is hoped that I get a 1 land that comes in tapped on turn 1.  Thus, turn one is only creates a foundation for play.  It is on this turn that I am more likely to fetch, or play a land that comes into play tapped, and then pass a turn only doing that.  The odds are good that I will be able to do this.  2/3 of my land is this way.

The way this works is that the land that comes into play tapped or the land that makes you go fetch is contains a necessary color that you can use a basic land on your second turn, or 3rd turn.  On the second turn, you play a land that does not come into play tapped, such that you can play a creature.  Then, on turn 3 or 4 its balls to the walls with the instant booster cards.

I have Seaside Citadel in there because I live in a house that is practically on the waterfront, like a Seaside Citadel.  It’s a card relative to my legacy that works in my deck.  That it can tap for white is virtually inconsequential to play.  Sure, there are other cards I could use, but this is the card I wanted to use.  The same is true with, “Salt Marsh.”

That attitude seems like you are seriously worried that my deck is a threat because if it wasn’t actually a threat, then you probably wouldn’t have even bothered to comment.  For example, this deck that I recently posted is stronger and more competitive than my others, and that is why I am not surprised that it is getting more attention from folks like yourself.

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. "That attitude seems like you are seriously worried that my deck is a threat because if it wasn’t actually a threat, then you probably wouldn’t have even bothered to comment. For example, this deck that I recently posted is stronger and more competitive than my others, and that is why I am not surprised that it is getting more attention from folks like yourself." I'm not actually at all worried i was just mearly trying to improve your deck is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And let me get this straight you only use seaside citadel because it reminds you of your house?!?!? Oh lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's called Legacy format. A part of my own personal legacy is life near the sea.

      Delete
  4. You have alot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "alot" is not yet a word. Technically, it should be, "A lot."

      Delete
    2. Cards you should look into if you want to be at all serious in legacy with this deck.
      Underground Sea
      Bayou
      Tropical Island
      Polluted Delta
      Verdant Catacombs
      Misty Rainforest
      Glistener Elf
      Berserk
      Invigorate
      Watery Grave
      Overgrown Tomb
      Breeding Pool
      Inkmoth Nexus
      Force of Will
      Daze
      Spell Pierce
      Spell Snare
      Thought Seize
      Vines of Vastwood

      Legacy's a fast format sir. "With respect to land, it is hoped that I get a 1 land that comes in tapped on turn 1."
      With that kind of thought process you will always be a turn behind which usually means if you're playing a good player they already have complete control of the game by the time you start being a threat in the match.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing those cards. I assume that they are somewhat standard for Legacy decks, but maybe they are not. I do believe that I am quite a bit more laid back about Magic The Gathering than yourself. I did not put a whole lot of effort in researching how other people construct their MTG decks. When I play, the usual response is, "I have never seen a deck like that," and that is because I sit down with the cards that I have and try to see how they work well together, while I also do searches for cards to see if they exist at Starcitygames. Thus, it is such that many of my cards are as if I had invented them. However, if I had posted the same old same old deck, as I have heard one of the problems with MTG is that there are too few decks that are winners, then

      Delete
    4. I am familiar with Vines of Vastwood, and believe it to be a poor choice for this deck.

      Delete
  5. Got it so you don't play legacy you play casual my last suggestion is to list your deck as such next time to save the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently, there is no Thought Seize. I can also rule out Spell Snare, Daze, Force of Will, and Spell Pierce because I am entirely focusing on offense with this deck.
    Breeding Pool is cool, but too expensive and, unnecessary.
    Overgrown Tomb, Glistener Elf and Watery Grave seem almost essential.
    Misty Rainforest, Polluted Delta, Tropical Island, Bayou, Underground Sea, and Verdant Catacombs are too expensive.
    Invigorate is awesome.
    Beserk is too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Thoughtseize is all one word.

      Delete
    2. Doesn’t it look casual enough to you? Really, for the folks that get into this stuff, you already know the expensive cards that get the job done expensively. Yet, I believe there is shame in spending as much money on cards, if I were to include a few of the one’s you mentioned. Perhaps, you might think of my deck as competitive in a different way, in that it is probably one of the least expensive Legacy decks you could buy that might win a few games at a local MTG store Legacy tournament. That is just because my deck is only moderately good as a legacy deck; it might still be thought of competitively, as being a good bang for a buck. It might not win you a tournament, but you will probably finish respectably.

      Delete
  7. Well if you want to play legacy those are the steps you need to take.
    When people are able to play stuff like Emrakul,the aeons Torn on turn 3 and attack with it. You waiting till turn 4 half the time to do anything relevant wont cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't win a lot in the sense that you are speaking. I consider myself a winner if I make my opponent do the math required to beat me.

      Delete
    2. Concerning MTG, I am an old geezer. My winnings are the fruit of what I share, and not how many wins or losses I help people to achieve.

      Delete
  9. I hate to agree with this Anonymous person but they are 100% correct.
    They may go about giving the information bluntly but he is right.

    ReplyDelete