Friday, June 15, 2012

**** Contagious Nim – Not a Better Infect Creature but Possibly Not a Total Loss in Commander Format


Of all the cards with infect, if you are playing a format other than Commander at the time I am writing this, there are better choices than Contagious Nim.  The reason this may be a good card if you are playing Commander is that there are not many cards with poison, and it is likely to remain that way.  That said, there is not much difference between a 2/2 and a 1/1 even you are using poison.  The best way to think about poison is to mentally double the power and toughness, in my opinion, such that changing from the concept of playing with poison verse cards without poison is fairly easy.  That is, if you can win by dealing an opponent 10 poison counters or win by dealing 20 of the original kind of damage, just consider that when playing poison 10 equals 20.  Thus, to properly view Contagious Nim in my opinion in comparison to the other way of dealing damage consider this rather than as a 2/2, but a 4/4.  Using that formula, the transition between playing poison, and the existent ways of dealing damage, as I am writing this Contagious Nim is as a card that is a 4/4 that costs 3 mana to cast, say the Legacy format.  That is not a bad deal, but in most instances, that conversion is not sufficient to consider Contagious Nim as one of the better cards from any perspective.
Also, I’d like to mention that I am unfamiliar with the use of playing rats.  However, to my knowledge Nim was first invented in a story book called, “The Rats of Nim.”  It used to spook me as a child, but I kind of liked it when mom read it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment