Sunday, June 24, 2012

** Ancient Stirrings – Search for Land or Colorless Creatures

Published 6/24/12, Updated 11/5/2012

This card comes from the Eldrazi set,  which seemed to focus on colorless cards.  Eldrazi are colorless.  That said, when this card was made it might as well have said, “Look at the top 5 cards and if you reveal a colorless Eldrazi…”  This card is a hooker.  It works great with Eldrazi, but most likely will be of no use in other decks that do not have several Eldrazi.

Ancient Stirrings also works with lands, as lands are colorless permanents.  That was something that seemed odd to me, but nevertheless it is a rule, as who has ever heard of a colorless forest, but alas that is a digression.  Even though I have only heard of green forests, in MTG forests are colorless.  Also, perhaps I should consider autumn and winter, where the real land has less color.

That said, I did find a use for it in one of my pauper decks that focuses on playing Hand of Emrakul through sacrificing four Eldrazi tokens.  I increased my odds of drawing a Hand of Emrakul through including 4 Ancient Stirrings, and 4 Commune With Nature in the Pauper deck.

I am a fan of cards that cost 1 mana, and this is one that is a 1 mana card that is good, especially if you are playing Eldrazi.  In that way, Ancient Stirrings might even work well in both the Legacy and Pauper formats, because chances are for spending 1 mana, you will get something good.  Why?  Because my guess is that you have lands, and colored cards in your deck, such that actually revealing a colorless card after drawing 5 cards is not much of a gamble.

1 comment:

  1. Lands are colorless you do know this right?

    ReplyDelete