Monday, April 23, 2012

Review of Drove of Elves * Don’t Misread This Card.


Permanents are inclusive of tokens and lands, as well as some other types.  The key ingredient for discerning what a permanent is that it remains on the battlefield, unlike sorceries and instants, which are not permanent.  That said, Drove of Elves is a force to be reckoned with, especially if you give it something like trample or make it unblockable.  However, be aware, there are people out there that have made mistakes with their assessment of how Drove of Elves ability works and published them on the internet.  I had this trick pulled on me: A person that I was playing pulled out their portable internet device and showed me a website that said basic lands aren’t permanents.  Not having a ready response, I accepted the false information and lost the game, which to me is no big deal.  However, what I did is to go home and check to see if that website on the internet was correct, and it wasn’t.  That could have lost me the game.  Next time, I will come prepared with a printout of how this card really works that can be referenced in the comprehensive rulebook, so the same mistake is not repeated.

Lands are colorless permanents.  Sorry, about the mistake.  This card is not nearly as good as I had thought it was.  The new review here subtracts 3 stars.  Someone called me on it, and showed me the ruling by an official judge and I was flabbergasted. 


2 comments:

  1. But lands are colorless and don't give Drove of Elves any bonuses. Only colored permanents give the bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct. I had read a ruling that was incorrect. Lands are in fact colorless permanents. It does seem kind of silly though to me to think of a forest that is not green or some other color, such as when the leaves change color it might be red.

      Delete